this is classic tiramisu- think of it with molasses
Ingredients (serves 6)
* 150ml freshly made strong dark coffee (or 4 tsp instant coffee dissolved in 150ml boiling water), cooled
* 4 tbs (80ml) dark rum
* 5 tsp molasses sugar*
* 2 tbs golden caster sugar*
* 2 eggs, separated
* 250g mascarpone
* Few drops of vanilla extract
* 20 sponge fingers (savoiardi)
* 1 tbs dark muscovado sugar*
- Mix the coffee and rum with 2 teaspoons of molasses sugar. When sugar has dissolved, pour into a small shallow dish.
- Reserve 1 1/2 tablespoons of the caster sugar. Use electric beaters to beat together the egg yolks and remaining caster sugar in a bowl for 4 minutes or until thick and pale.
- Add the mascarpone and the vanilla extract to the egg-yolk mixture and beat until smooth. Whisk the eggwhites in a separate bowl until they just begin to show signs of stiffening, then gradually whisk in reserved caster sugar to form a soft but not too stiff meringue. (The tips of the peaks should fall over, not stand upright.) Gently fold meringue into the mascarpone mixture.
- Briefly dip half the sponge fingers, one at a time, into the coffee mixture and lay them side by side on a flat, rectangular serving plate. Spoon over half the mascarpone mixture and spread out evenly. Cover with another layer of coffee-soaked sponge fingers and the rest of the mascarpone mixture. Chill in the fridge for 1 1/2 hours.
- Mix the remaining molasses sugar with the dark muscovado sugar, much like you would when making pastry, rubbing the grains through your fingers to remove any lumps. Then sprinkle it over the top of the dessert and chill for another 15-20 minutes to allow time for the sugar to dissolve before serving.
Notes & tips
* Molasses sugar, golden caster sugar and dark muscovado sugar are from gourmet food shops and selected delis.
delicious. - June 2006 , Page 65
Posted by bean at 2:18 PM